5 March 2020
IMPROVEMENTS TO PARKING PERMIT SCHEME
The Borough Council is shaking up its parking permit scheme to make it easier to understand and cheaper for drivers to use.
It is doing away with current arrangements which involve offering motorists a range of options and different charges. From 1 April these will be replaced with a streamlined – and cheaper – system.
One of the permits will even be reduced by £100 a quarter to encourage vehicle owners to use council car parks in Newcastle town centre.
The proposals are the latest in a series of measures which the Council has introduced to encourage drivers to visit the town and include:-
• A “one after one” deal which means motorists can park for just £1 after 1pm and leave their vehicles until 8am the next day.
• Short-stay parking spots introduced in Merrial Street outside the old civic offices.
• Free parking on Sundays.
• Pay for just one hour at key town centre events.
• Pay for just one hour on bank holidays.
Cllr. Stephen Sweeney, Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet member with responsibility for parking issues, said: “We are continually looking at various ways in which we can encourage people to come and use the facilities in the town centre. We recently introduced a new Car Parking Strategy which clearly sets out the steps we are taking to get drivers into the heart of Newcastle.
“The Council recognises that car parking charges are clearly linked to this and that is why we are revising the system for permits. These are open to anyone who parks on one of our car parks in Newcastle – residents, businesses, regular visitors and so on.”
There are three types of permit which are available:-
• Monthly – this is £43.50 + VAT and allows drivers to park on any unlimited stay council pay and display car park in Newcastle town centre. It means motorists can come and go as they like at any time without having to think about a parking ticket.
5 March 2020 2…..permits
• Quarterly – this one is £130 + VAT – a reduction on the previous figure of £230 + VAT.
• Businesses – same quarterly arrangements apply but if any one firm buys 20 or more they get each one for £110 each + VAT.
People interested in taking up the offer can call the Council’s Customer Services team to sort a permit out on 01782 742271.
Media contact Phil Jones 01782 742271 / firstname.lastname@example.org